Part 2 of my type of parenting is about cloth diapers. I know some people think reusing diapers (washing poop in your washing machine, touching dirty inserts, the laundry, so many types…)is just too much to deal with. I use to be one of those people. I was in a way interested because I know it’s cheaper in the long run than buying disposable diapers until baby potty trains. But I was simply so overwhelmed.
I seriously have to thank my friend, Stephanie, for spending the time to message me info on them. I took what she told me and researched on youtube until my eyes hurt.
We are, however, still using disposables at night time because I haven’t found an overnight diaper that I like yet. But I can NOT wait to get rid of them completely.
There are so many reasons why I cloth diaper now. Everything is written out beautifully on this website. You should definitely check it out.
· Good for the environment
* Billions of diapers are used every year, and they just hang out in landfills. And these diapers may take up to 500 years to decompose.
* I love not having so much trash to take out too.
· Cheaper in the long run
* It is a little pricy to start your diaper stash. But they end up paying for themselves when you don’t have to pay for disposables every week.
* You can re-use them for future kids! So essentially your next kid(s) will be diapered for free.
* You can buy them used. Which means you can sell them as well. So you can make some of the money you spent on them back!
* One problem though, they are so cute and there are so many different kinds that buying them can be incredibly addicting!
* There are so many chemicals in disposable diapers. Dioxin, Tributyl-tin, and sodium polyacrylate. You know those little gel things that puff up when wet. Yeah, I’ve been finding them on my little mans bum in the morning when we switch to cloth for the day.
* Nick and I took a disposable and held it under the faucet, just for fun. That thing held so.much.water! That just can’t be safe.
* There is also a new study out that shows prolonged use of disposable diapers in little boys is linking to infertility because disposables hold in heat so much more than cloth.
· Comfort and less mess
*Tanner has yet to have diaper rash. I doubt using cloth is the main reason for this, but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt.
* I have more blow outs in disposable than I ever have had in a cloth diaper. And now that Tanner is a little bigger I haven’t had ANY messes!
* They are bulkier than disposables, which is a nice little padding for Tanner’s bottom when he starts walking/falling. Haha
· Just plain adorable
*I mean, really. I’ve never seen a baby not look cute in cloth.
* Babies who wear cloth usually potty train earlier/easier than those who wear disposables.
* The laundry really isn’t that bad. :)